"Qoaling", a book of poems by Rethabile Masilo

I'd like those likely to attend readings I'll do in Lesotho to know that I have few books with me. Failed delivery. Please pass the word, and this link to my Amazon page, should anyone want to get a book and have me sign it.

I would also like to take this opportunity to officially announce (and this will be done in Maseru as well, live) the publication of my fourth book of poems, "Qoaling". It was published on 17 February 2018, which is my mother's birthday, by the Oxford-based The Onslaught Press. Needless to say, I'm quite excited as I ponder future readings in Europe as well as on the African continent.

During this trip I will unfortunately not be able to stopover in Johannesburg. I know quite a few people there who are itching to kill me as they read this. Next time I will have to stop in Jozi for sure, and stay there for a few days. In Lesotho I look forward to reading at Rockview and in Morija (The Hub). I still don't know the dates yet. Voila.

Reading in Durban in 2016
My most recent book



BOOK-MAKERS

One day while we were playing
Khotsofalang left, and no matter how much we prayed
he was killed and reincarnated as a tree;
we would like to know if that�s what he wanted to be.

They made a casket with his pith,
because one of Lesotho�s big businesses is making coffins.
Some wonder why we don�t just make doors with loss, instead,
using planks and slats from the bodies of the dead.

Still others say books, by beating cadavers to a pulp, like pulled
pork, flattening the remains in the sun for them to dry, till
they finally come of age
and accept a dirge on each and every page.

--from Qoaling, The Onslaught Press, 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Military Hospital Rawalpindi

The acacia trees, a poem by Derek Walcott

25 great first lines of poetry - piano