Lost destinations, a poem by Bonolo Makhooane

Suddenly I realised
That my phone was more
Than a calling tool
All my lifetime memories were in there
My beloved earphones
That secured every beat of my life

The clinging sound of the rands and nairas
Echoed in my head
Thinking if I could make it home tonight
But I lost my major key
The one that opens closed doors

Then it struck me that my lipstick
Enlightened and brightened my lips
A spark and some moisture
Enough to give someone a kiss

My heart sank when I only
Found one piece of my favourite shades
Realising that I could no longer flex
And that I lost all my fleek

The damp pages of my visa
Made me feel so helpless
How would I reach my destinations?
Without my passport?



Bonolo �Bonita� Makhooane is a 15-year-old originally from Khubetsoana in Maseru, Lesotho. She is currently a student at Morija Girls� High School. Bonolo enjoys playing basketball, dancing and listening to music. She hopes to one day work as a professional lawyer.



Bonolo Makhooane


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Military Hospital Rawalpindi

The acacia trees, a poem by Derek Walcott

25 great first lines of poetry - piano