Paris Review Interview with Allen Ginsberg

INTERVIEWER:
Do you feel you�re in command when you�re writing?

GINSBERG:
Sometimes I feel in command when I�m writing. When I�m in the heat of some truthful tears, yes. Then, complete command. Other times�most of the time not. Just diddling away, woodcarving, getting a pretty shape; like most of my poetry. There�s only a few times when I reach a state of complete command. Probably a piece of Howl, a piece of Kaddish, and a piece of The Change. And one or two moments of other poems.

INTERVIEWER:
By command do you mean a sense of the whole poem as it�s going, rather than parts?

GINSBERG:
No�a sense of being self-prophetic master of the universe.

�more at The Paris Review



Allen Ginsberg


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Military Hospital Rawalpindi

The acacia trees, a poem by Derek Walcott

25 great first lines of poetry - piano