Saturn's Child, a poem by January Gill O'Neil

When my father snores
he sucks in the whole world
and releases it in one pure breath.
At night I�d come into his room
where he would pass out on the bed�
too drunk to change his clothes or
put out his cigarette, which had
burnt itself down to the embers. I pulled
off his shoes and watched him sleep,
smelling his sweet, stale breath
fill the room in waves. He was so out of it
I could put my finger into his mouth and pull it out
before he inhaled.
Once I let my finger linger a second
too long and his tongue touched the flat of my tip.
I thought of going in deeper, first a hand, then an arm;
the tender cutlet of my body swallowed whole by my
father. But I was barely enough to make him cough.
He rolled over on his side, leaving a well in the space
where his body had been. I crawled back into my own bed,
as my father slept the peaceful sleep of ogres, feeling
the house shake with his rhythmic tremors.



January's blog: January Gill O'Neil's blog
Amazon page: January Gill O'Neil's Amazon page
On Facebook: January Gill O'Neil on Feacebook



January Gill O'Neil



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Military Hospital Rawalpindi

The acacia trees, a poem by Derek Walcott

25 great first lines of poetry - piano